This Dog Won't Hunt

Witness: Kenneth (full name on file)

Date: Last week in Aug 2001

County: Spencer

City: Chaplin, KY

7-2-2018 phone interview:

Note: The witness did not contact us. A close friend of his contacted us. The friend explained that he had worked with the witness many years ago. He said Kenneth was a very religious man and was responsible for a large sum of money where both men worked. As a matter of, when Kenneth left for the Army, his employer begged him to stay because he was so honest. Kenneth was a sergeant stationed in Colorado for many years and only recently returned to Kentucky.

Not actual dog.

The sightings happened twice, about a week apart, about a mile apart. The witness was 19 years old at the time and an avid hunter. He had permission to hunt a lease on Prather Ridge Road. It was a dense woods, with nasty thick brush. Kenneth saved up money to buy an experienced coon dog, a Night Champion. It would track and tree a coon every single time. He was very proud of his dog. On this particular evening Kenneth brought a friend with him and was excited to show off his champion coon dog. He turned his dog loose and she took off into the woods as it has done many times before. She eventually stopped barking, came running back and dove into the dog box. Shocked, Kenneth took her back out and turned her loose again. She did the very same thing again! A third time Kenneth sent her back out, but this time she just sat in the woods and barked. Mad and embarrassed that Kenneth had just spent a fortune on this dog, the men went into the woods after her. She was sitting in a clearing looking towards a treeline. About 80-100 yards away both men witnessed a grey creature run on two legs at the edge of a cedar thicket. It ran for about 10 to 12 long strides before disappearing. Its head was in the cedars so they only saw it from the shoulder down and the left arm which swung dramatically. Kenneth estimates it height at 7-8 feet tall. Both men were wearing bright led headlamps. Kenneth said, “Did I just see that?” His friend said, “Yes! What was it?” Kenneth replied, “I don’t know!” As they were talking, the dog snuck off back to the dog box. It freaked both men out. Kenneth went home and told his dad and sister.

About a week later it was bow season so Kenneth went to his family’s ten acres which joined the back of the lease mentioned above. The woods were so thick, he had to walk a creek to get to his stand. It was just getting daylight, he climbed up into the stand, got comfortable and placed his bow behind him. It was very quiet. He began hearing movement so he thought a deer was coming, but it was really loud, too loud. Large branches breaking on the hillside so Kenneth thought maybe one of the neighbor’s cows had gotten out and was coming towards him. He stood up and turned around to grab his bow and the noise stopped, after a few minutes he sat back down. It started coming again, so Kenneth stood up again. It stopped again. Because the woods were so green this time of year, he could not see it unless it was directly in front of him. Kenneth waited a few more minutes, hung his bow back up and sat back down. Just as Kenneth got comfortable, it began crashing through the woods again. Kenneth thought, “What the heck, every time I move it stops.” On the fourth time, Kenneth estimated it to be only about 30 yards from his stand so he kept the bow on his lap. There was a little opening only 25 yards in front of him and it was on the edge of this opening. It began to move again so Kenneth stood up and it stopped. He could only see two large, greyish hairy legs, much larger than a man. It stood there for a few minutes which really creeped Kenneth out, so he drew back his bow. When he did, the creature instantly took off crashing through the thick brush up the ridge. The hair looked longer, matted (not smooth, not well groomed) with possible mud patches.

Kenneth was adamant it was walking on two legs both times. He also explained that the heavy crashing and large branches breaking as it pushed through the woods was not typical behavior of local wildlife. He’s very familiar with deer, coyotes and bear and this creature was positively neither. Because he didn’t have a full complete view of the entire creature and because he didn’t have a photo, he could not positively say it was a Bigfoot, thus he explained he never told anyone except his family and the close friend who contacted us.

- Charlie Raymond, Investigator

Another Taylorsville Lake Sighting!

Witness: Matt (last name on file)

Estimated date? 8/4/14

Estimated time? 2 am

Nearest city? Mt Eden

Nearest Road(s): 1320 Park Road

Length of time the encounter lasted: 30 minutes or more'

How many witnesses? 5

Please describe your encounter:

“We were at the primitive area, site #10 at Taylorsville Lake State Park campground. Being some of the few night owls there last night, there was only me, my husband, and one of our 3 children awake as well as two other campers about 2 sites over who had gotten to the campground around midnight. I was laying in the tent trying to sleep when I kept hearing strange almost owl like high pitch noises at the bottom of the hill. After hearing my son and husband comment about hearing "an owl", I decided that must be it. About 20 minutes later, my son had gone into his tent with his siblings, and my husband had come into our tent. He was trying to settle in and I was too, when we heard the most horrible, loud, blood curdling scream/howl/whoop (not sure how to describe it) and then a loud grunt. The scream/howl/whoop lasted about 3-5 seconds and then immediately was the loud grunt at the same pitch. It sounded like it was coming from the same area as the owl like sounds from a short time earlier. My husband sat up about the same time as me and we asked each other if we knew what it was. I told him, "I have NEVER heard anything like that!" He said he had never heard anything like that either. We could also hear something moving in the woods, and by that time after the scream, we were very freaked out. So we immediately got the kids up and in the car.

My husband kept shining his flash light down the hill towards the noise while one of my sons got out of the car and helped grab our valuables. My husband says that at that time he saw two eyes shining in the light and a shadow of a figure crouched down, that then stood up (appeared very large) and threw a rock at him which hit the tree next to him. My son confirmed he saw the rock hit the tree and fall to the ground. After that we went home (about 45 minutes away) around 2:20am.

My husband and boys went back for our things after 10am. They looked around to see if there was any indication of what it could have been. They did not see any tracks of any kind, however, they did see trees bent over branches laid across the bent trees, and a large area of flattened brush at the bottom of the hill from the site at which we had been camping. After getting all our things packed, they went to the ranger's office and told them what had happened. The ranger actual seemed to take it serious and said they would check it out tonight. Then the ranger said he would normally brush this off, but the other campers (who were also up late and had arrived around midnight) two sites from us, complained about hearing strange sounds and something large in the woods and they too left and demanded their money back.

I have never believed in Bigfoot or anything like it. I have camped all over the US since I was a toddler. I have heard coyotes, wolves, bears, owls, birds, wild cats, hurt deer, hurt rabbits...nothing sounds like what we heard. It will be a while, if ever, before I go camping again. I use to love it, but now I am afraid because whatever this was, it was intelligent enough to watch until we were all in our tents and to throw a rock at my husband. That is what scared me the most.”

Describe the creature with detail:

“Husband described it as eyes glowing in the flash light, and a shadow of a large figure crouched down. It shortly after stood up and threw a rock. At that time my husband said it was very tall and large.”

Follow-Up: 8-4-14

I called and made arrangements to meet the family at the campground late that afternoon. Matt, the husband and father, was visibly shaken up by the events of that morning. After evaluating the location, it was determined that the creature was much closer, approximately 50 yards from Matt. It was definitely covered in dark hair and had greenish eyes. The height was also estimated higher, closer to 9 feet. We searched for the rock and footprints but the underbrush and leaf cover made it impossible. We did find a partial deer skeleton (old) at the exact spot where the creature stood. Also further back in the woods on a game trail we found a tree bent over the trail, but the origin of this bend was not obvious.

In their haste, the family left their tents and drove home at 2:00am. They noticed 4 deer sprinting across the road from the campground as they left. I explained to the family my hunch: because of the fleeing deer, the whoops heard earlier, then the loud howl, the bigfoot(s) were most likely hunting the deer and Matt spoiled their hunt with his flashlight, prompting the aggressive rock throw. The bigfoot was not aggressively attacking the family. Matt was very emotional at times during the follow up interview and said something interesting at the end of our meeting, “I feel much better talking about this.” It was the first time in 20 years of research where I had an interview where the witness was this visibly shaken up over a sighting, understandable because he felt like his family was in jeopardy. It was also refreshing to know that I actually helped him resolve his fear.

- Charlie Raymond, KBRO Investigator

Website Submission: 11-10-10

Your first name: Jeff (police officer)

Estimated date? Summer 1995

Estimated time? 2:00am

What city, or nearest city? Taylorsville

Length of time the encounter lasted: off and on for a few hours

How many witnesses? 2

Please describe your encounter:

In the summer of around 1997, myself and a friend went fishing in my boat on Taylorsville Lake. We always fished at night for catfish and one night we tried a spot back in a cove a good distance from the main water way and one where we had to maneuver thru the trees to get to. We had been there before but without incident, but this night was a bit different. It started with noises from up on the hill in the woods of what sounded like a woman scream, while being a state park and no houses we figured it was some animal but nothing of major importance. We kept hearing a knocking sound off and on thru the night and some rustling or twigs breaking in the distance, but couldn’t see anything with our spot lights as the woods came right to the bank almost and was fairly dense. At one point I heard what sounded like a whistle, and I would whistle back. Then every time I whistled something would whistle in return. Well I figured maybe the sounds were carrying good that night and someone in another cove must be doing it, but where we were at had no coves very close by. My friend of course starts in with the theme of the twilight zone as we try to dismiss it all as nothing. And that’s where it would have stayed, the few hours of us knocking, whistles, us yelling hello. and so on, but then I got the idea of doing a bigfoot yell or growl to try and get at my friend, and the first time it was funny, but the second time it wasn’t, that time I got a reply! The yell or screaming growl I received back was incredible. It was followed by the sound of breaking trees or limbs and something was coming towards us. We were anchored only about 10 feet from the bank at the very deepest part of the cove so I looked over to my friend and told him to pull up the anchor it was time to leave, only to find him already with anchor aboard and pulling in poles in any fashion he could. Although I was a police officer at the time, and armed with a weapon, there are certain times when it’s time to get out and regroup. This was one of those times! We left quickly risking hitting stumps and trees as we got out of the cove in a rapid fashion. We never saw what it was but it had to be big.

Describe the creature with detail: Didn't see it.

Area, Sounds, Etc: Knocking, whistles, trees breaking, and one loud scream/growl

Follow-Up: 11/10/10

I had a lengthy conversation with the witness over the phone. He is a retired police officer from a nearby city. I found him to be highly credible and sincere. He mentioned that whatever it was would return a whistle with the same tone, almost finishing his tune. The crashing through the trees sounded like a bulldozer, breaking large branches as it approached the shoreline. No smell was noticed, nor rocks thrown.

-Charlie Raymond, Lead Investigator

Photo courtesy of the witness. This is the spot!


A bigfoot with possible mange appears in witness' yard on many occasions.
Read full report here. (source:


Submit Your Sighting | Contact Us | Return To Kentucky Bigfoot

© 2016